English Language Learners Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of other languages learning English. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I want to explain the following procedure for th number 1 to 10.

I want to partition the numbers to the group of 3 like this:

1 2 3 : 2 3 4: 3 4 5 : 4 5 6 : 5 6 7: 6 7 8: 7 8 9: 8 9 10.

How can I explain it?

In real data set the partition size is 100 and I have more than 5000 numbers.

share|improve this question

I'd try saying:

Eight triplets of consecutive numbers from (1,2,3) through (8,9,10).

Although, in character count, your complete series is shorter… ;-)

share|improve this answer

There are many ways to describe it. I might say,

A set of all possible three consecutive integers (chosen from 1 to 10).


An ordered list of [n,n+1,n+2], where n is an integer from 1 to 8.

share|improve this answer
Or: All triples (x, y, z), where y = x + 1, z = y + 1, x ≥ 1, and z ≤ 10. (You're right; there are many possible ways to describe it.) – J.R. Feb 14 '14 at 2:34

You could say, "All partitions of the numbers from 1 to 10 consisting of three consecutive numbers, for example [1, 2, 3], and [2, 3, 4].".

share|improve this answer

Partitioning of a set with overlapping elements is mathematically called a covering. If the target audience is mathematically inclined, you could define this term and use it as follows:

Coverings of the set of integers from 1 to 10, consisting of 3 consecutive numbers.

share|improve this answer
I'm not sure about this usage of "covering". Could you give me some link so I can read more? I thought that in combinatorics, a covering would mean the entire set itself (a covering = something that covers the given structure), not each element (or a partition) in the set. – Damkerng T. Feb 13 '14 at 23:05
@DamkerngT. I read about it in a Discrete Mathematics textbook. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Set_cover_problem. Perhaps my statement was ambiguous, by "A partition", I did not mean one member of such a partition, but the partition itself. – Masked Man Feb 14 '14 at 10:28
Thank you for the link. I'm still unsure about the use of "covering". And if you meant to say "Coverings" to mean "A partition", I think it might be better to say "A covering" or even better, "A cover". If we followed the definition given in your link, e.g. U = {1,2,3,4,5} and the set of sets S = {{1,2,3},{2,4},{3,4},{4,5}} so that the union of S is U. A cover C would be a subset of S whose union is U. – Damkerng T. Feb 14 '14 at 11:07
Uhm, yeah, but the question isn't asking for one partition, but the collection of the 8 partition. – Masked Man Feb 14 '14 at 11:42
And I would call the 8-partition collection a cover, not covers, at least according to the definition in Wikipedia. But it's up to you to choose your terms though. :-) – Damkerng T. Feb 14 '14 at 11:53

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.