English Language Learners Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of other languages learning English. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

When do you use in and when at the flat, in English? Can I say both

I live in the flat.

I live at the flat.

Here's what prompted this question; a passage from a textbook goes like this: A girl arrived in a city where she was going to live for a while, in a new flat. Her friend picked her up at the airport.

She: ´How is your wife?´
He: ´She is fine, she is at your new flat.´

Which means, if somebody stays in a flat which is not his/hers, then he/she is AT someone´s flat, not IN someone´s flat?

share|improve this question
Are you talking about one flat in particular? – Tristan Feb 18 '14 at 16:49

If you are discussing the flat and its possible uses, then you'd say

I live in the flat.


I rent out the flat.

If you are discussing types of residence, then you'd say

I live in a flat.


I live in a house.

If you are discussing possible general locations, maybe the others know you own a flat and a house, then you'd say

I live at the flat.


I live at the house.


I live at the seaside.

If you are talking about a larger area then use 'in', so

I live in Paris.

If you live in the Netherlands, then you'd say

I live in the Netherlands.

share|improve this answer
Regarding your example I rent out the flat. The common terminology for this in the UK, is let dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/british/let_3 It can also be I let the flat. – Tristan Feb 18 '14 at 23:52

You always live in a dwelling and never at. Something like I live in a small house.

For others, an apartment is often called a flat in India. I guess the OP is talking in Indian dialect.

I live in a flat - is correct.

On the other hand you always stay at someone's house. There using in may not be preferred.

I'm staying at my aunt's house.

share|improve this answer
Maulik V, not just in India. The word flat is often used in the UK, as well. – Tristan Feb 18 '14 at 17:05
Yeah. And India uses British English. However the op seems to be Indian and here on this site I'm always asked to clarify every word I say. Or else the whole thing heads some other way ;) – Maulik V Feb 18 '14 at 17:08
The word flat refers to an apt in the U.S. as well. – J.R. Feb 18 '14 at 22:23
I guess the moral of the story is you don't need to drag India into every thing, just because you are from India. :P – Masked Man Feb 19 '14 at 12:24

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.