Sign up ×
English Language Learners Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of other languages learning English. It's 100% free, no registration required.

What word of two mentioned above should I use when I mean a map route which begins and ends at the same point?

share|improve this question

2 Answers 2

up vote 1 down vote accepted

Looking at your question, I feel you want to mean that there's a map where you begin at one place and also end at the same.

Cycle does not fit and loop refers more to a shape than what you probably want. Okay...

One of the common words used for this is ...

circuit - A roughly circular line, route, or movement that starts and finishes at the same place

Example of Circuit route

You may also use track but I don't think it starts and ends at the same point whereas circuit does probably because the electronic circuit happens only when it completes its path.

share|improve this answer
Agreed. "Track" implies the surface you're walking on, or is the word for sports events (racing track, running track etc). "Trail" is also a possibility, if it involves a walking route, but lacks the aspect of starting and finishing in the same place. – JMB Mar 11 '14 at 10:51
Thanks for great answer. And one more question on this theme. How should I call road which is around the whole city like this. We call it "ring road" in Russian. – kassie Mar 11 '14 at 11:42
@kassie You nailed it! It's ring road and many cities around the world have adopted it (including my hometown). – Maulik V Mar 11 '14 at 11:47
In America, a road that makes a circle around a big city is called a "loop" or a "beltway". When it's part of the Interstate Highway System, a loop is always given a 3-digit number starting with an even digit. As opposed to a spur, which is a road that branches off the main highway and ends, usually in a big city, and which is given a 3-digit number starting with an odd digit. I've never heard the term "ring road". What country are you from @Maulik? – Jay Mar 11 '14 at 13:55
@Jay India. But thanks for sharing. Ring road is an official term here and you see signboards stating that. :) – Maulik V Mar 11 '14 at 14:18

I don't know of any single English word that would be understood to mean what you are asking without further explanation.

The closest phrase I can think of is "round-trip route".

You could use "loop" to describe such a route. You'd have to specify that you're talking about a route -- a "loop" can be anything that goes in a circle or something resembling a circle. Like you can say, "I travelled in a loop" or "The route made a loop."

"Cycle" implies something that happens over and over. We talk about the "cycle of the seasons" or the "election cycle". If you said, "I travelled in a cycle" ... Well, first people would likely think you meant, "I travelled ON a cycle", meaning a bicycle or a motorcycle. But assuming you used another wording or emphasized the "in", they would understand you to mean that you travelled the same route over and over.

@Maulik's suggestion of "circuit" is possible. I think in general, though, people would understand a "circuit" to mean a route that has many stops. Like we say, "The salesman made a circuit of his five biggest clients", meaning that he visited each of the clients, then went back to the first and started over, probably many times. We used to have "circuit judges" in America, which were judges who would travel through a series of small towns, each of which was not big enough to need a full-time judge. He'd arrive in a town, hear whatever cases had come up since his last visit, then go on to the next. Some judges still have an official title of "circuit judge" but they no longer ride from town to town on a horse. They just have authority over a large area.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.