English Language Learners Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of other languages learning English. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

When it's about adults, we have plenty of choices... Mr., Ms., Mrs., or even Sir and Madam. But then what about kids? Kids aging 7 to 12 (approx). What about in our practice, a day-to-day practice?

Hey kid,... does not sound 'respected.' Excuse me works but that's a witty escape. I want a prefix for kids which addresses them respectfully.

I want answer for both - a girl and a boy. I remember little boys being called 'Master' but then what about little girls? Miss only? So, a kid to an adolescent to a woman (unmarried) she's Miss but a boy is Master to Mister.?

share|improve this question
As a note for our answerers (I'm curious to learn about the usage too), I suspect that the usage might vary depending on the context (the occasion, regional, register, who is speaking to whom, etc.), so it might be the best to be explicit about the contexts that you believe that the usage is appropriate. – Damkerng T. Apr 4 '14 at 6:37
@DamkerngT. I agree. Thanks for this. – Maulik V Apr 4 '14 at 6:41
It's just clear to me that the case of "Mr. Potter" is not a good example, because the teachers know Harry Potter's name. I'm sure that the teachers won't call Harry Potter, "Mr." or "Mister". And, calling Harry Potter, "Sir" would sound awkward. I wonder if there is anyone calling someone else in the novel when they don't know the name of the other. – Damkerng T. Apr 4 '14 at 10:42
@DamkerngT. +1 Oh yes....how did I miss it! – Maulik V Apr 4 '14 at 10:44

You are correct. Back in the day, "Master" was a common title for a young boy to whom one was showing respect. The corresponding title for young girls was / is "Miss".

Now days, "Young Man" and "Young Lady" are usually terms that I use whenever I want to address kids with any amount of respect. While these terms generally do a lot for the kids in terms of feeling like fancy adults, there really isn't a way to show a great deal of respect to children. However, if you are interested in doing your best, I believe the above options are the way to go.

share|improve this answer
+1 Thanks. 'Young man' completely was off my mind. I'll still wait for others to answer as it's interesting to know. But yes, this is what I wanted. – Maulik V Apr 4 '14 at 6:46
Good point; but I would like to add that the words "young lady" and "young man" are often used by parents to address their children when they're angry. – helix Apr 4 '14 at 9:41

When using Mr., Ms., and Mrs., these should be accompanied by his/her name.

(e.g.) Mr. Potter, or Mrs. Potter.

You will never call someone: Hello, Mister!, without his last name.

If you don’t know his name or don’t want to use it, then you can use “Sir”

In case of a lady you will say: “young lady!” or “madam” or shorter “ma’am”.

In case of a boy you will use “young man”.

share|improve this answer
A little correction. Mr. and Mrs. takes the surname and Ms. takes the first name! :) Mr. Anderson (surname), Mrs. Jackson (surname) and Ms. Jane (name!) Having said that, Mr. Potter is okay but Ms. Potter is unlikely! – Maulik V Apr 4 '14 at 6:56
Yes, thanks for correction! – Lucian Sava Apr 4 '14 at 6:59
@MaulikV: Do you have a source for Ms, being used with the first name? wikipedia states that "[Ms.] is an English honorific used with the last name or full name of a woman". – oerkelens Apr 4 '14 at 7:09
Well, I saw several examples, Ms. goes with both. But Mr. goes with the last name. Lucian, you still need to edit the line ... You will never call someone: Hello, Mister!, without his remove-her and it's last name. – Maulik V Apr 4 '14 at 7:35
miss with a first name is condescending (at least in America) and should be used only with great caution – hunter Apr 4 '14 at 8:05

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.