English Language Learners Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of other languages learning English. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Request to the OP - Kindly confirm the image. This'll help you getting a correct answer.

What is the plastic part over a car window called? Something like an awning.

I do not know what to call it.

enter image description here

No Google results. so please help me.

share|improve this question
You may upload an image for better understanding or else this question is likely to be closed stating 'unclear' what are you asking. – Maulik V May 19 '14 at 4:29
a thin film that saves you from the sun rays or simply to avoid the vision from outside? – Maulik V May 19 '14 at 4:31
Picture, drawing or a more specific description, please. – user3169 May 19 '14 at 4:35
Are you talking about these things? – Codeswitcher May 19 '14 at 4:58
@Codeswitcher Yes, I guess he means that. And I hope the OP's aware of on and over that I misunderstood ;) – Maulik V May 19 '14 at 5:04
up vote 5 down vote accepted

They are referred to variously as "vent visors", "[car] window deflectors", and "rain guards", as per this vendor's website.

Window deflector - A window deflector is mounted above the doors of some automobiles, to protect the inside of the car from rain or other precipitation in case of slightly opened windows.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.