English Language Learners Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of other languages learning English. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Could someone please tell me what we call a football(soccer) player who doesn't pass the ball and ignores other players at good positions.

I think about "Soloist" but I am not sure if it works for sport too.

share|improve this question
"Soloist" would probably be understood but it's not a very good analogy. A soloist in music isn't being selfish or depriving others of opportunities: they're just doing their job of playing the most significant part in the piece. – David Richerby Jun 18 '14 at 21:46
up vote 20 down vote accepted

You could say he is hogging the ball.

verb (hogs, hogging, hogged) [with object]

  1. informal Take or use most or all of (something) in an unfair or selfish way: he never hogged the limelight

This usage is very common to describe the situation you mentioned, and you hear it a lot in sports commentary. In US English you could say ball hog, but this is less idiomatic in UK English (although people would certainly understand what you meant), where in my experience it is more common to describe what he is doing (hogging the ball) than what he is.

Alternatively, you could simply say he is not a team player.

share|improve this answer
I've heard the expression in BrE that such a person "wants a ball of his own". – BobRodes Jun 19 '14 at 2:40

Back when I played, we called that kind of person a "ball hog."

A ball hog is a derisive term for a basketball player that handles the ball exclusively to the point of impairing the team.
Source: “Ball hog” from Wikipedia

share|improve this answer
When I was young we would say, "He was ball greedy." – user8159 Jun 18 '14 at 14:47

I would use greedy but I would also recognise ball hog.

share|improve this answer

Hog is the term generally used, but a term that is gaining traction is 'Playstation' Footballer, which alludes to doing something in a way that is more elaborate than necessary (for example, holding onto the ball too long, rather than using teammates).

share|improve this answer
A person who does something in a way that is more elaborate than necessary is generally called a "hot dog" in AmE. One may also say that such a person is "hotdogging". – BobRodes Jun 19 '14 at 2:39
Warning: Do not google "hot dogging". – Gusdor Jun 19 '14 at 13:44

protected by Community Jun 19 '14 at 14:14

Thank you for your interest in this question. Because it has attracted low-quality or spam answers that had to be removed, posting an answer now requires 10 reputation on this site (the association bonus does not count).

Would you like to answer one of these unanswered questions instead?

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.