English Language Learners Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of other languages learning English. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

In a race, when the front runner exhausted himself and thus suffers from a sudden and rather strong decrease of speed before reaching the finish line (often being overtaken by the runner-up as a result), how do you call that?

Specifically, what verb do you use to describe that?

to slump? to slack off? to fade? to disintegrate? ...

By the way, I'm not looking for "to collapse"; the runner will still cross the finish line... :)

share|improve this question
I asked this question on a bilingual (de-en) board as well, and people there also suggested "to slump" and "his performance (suddenly) disintegrated". Thoughts? – Christian Jun 25 '14 at 9:20

I like fade. So does NOAD:

fade (verb) [of a racehorse, runner, etc.] lose strength or drop back, esp. after a promising start : she faded near the finish.

Incidentally, my first thought was collapse, until you added your stipulation. The word collapse is often used in team sports to describe a team that doesn't finish in first place – especially when they had led in the standings for much of the season (examples here). However, in a footrace, collapse usually has a different meaning, as you point out.

share|improve this answer
My first thought was falter. – snailplane Jun 21 '14 at 12:18
@snail - falter would work, too. It would work especially well in cases of a muscle pull, when the runner not only slows down, but also loses stride. – J.R. Jun 21 '14 at 12:40
To me "to fade" sounds a bit like the runner is slowly losing speed, not abruptly, though? – Christian Jun 25 '14 at 9:18
@Christian - For the most part, yes. That's probably how I would envision it. – J.R. Jun 25 '14 at 9:20

If the front-runner deliberately loses speed, it might be called 'easing-up' or 'cruising'. This often happens in the first round or even a semi-final, when runners are trying to conserve their energy for the final.

share|improve this answer

I would use some form of run out of steam:

The runner ran out of steam.
I have been working very hard but now I am running out of steam.

According to this link Run out of steam the phrase was originally used back in steam engine days.

share|improve this answer

A runner who exhausts the energy supplies in their liver and muscles is said to hit the wall.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.