English Language Learners Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of other languages learning English. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Similar to regularizing, I want to use irregularizing however some dictionaries have no such word. Is that a correct suggestion?


We have found that regularizing the patterns in 'A' is possible by minimizing 'B' while minimizing 'C' can irregularize the patterns in 'A'.

share|improve this question
Not sure if it'll fit your needs... how about irregulate? – Nico Jul 15 '14 at 19:20
Could you provide some context and an idea of what you intend regularizing/irregularizing to mean? – Obfuskater Jul 15 '14 at 19:32
See the updated post – mahmood Jul 15 '14 at 19:36
up vote 3 down vote accepted

Although irregulate could fit the given example, a quick search in Google's n-gram viewer shows its usage as a verb is rare in recent times.

I would suggest disrupt or distort as an alternative:

We have found that regularizing the patterns in 'A' is possible by minimizing 'B', while minimizing 'C' can disrupt the patterns in 'A'.

share|improve this answer
I agree with the answer and with the ever-so-needed comma. Without the comma, you have a garden path sentence. – CoolHandLouis Jul 15 '14 at 20:19
See also books.google.com/ngrams/…. It should perhaps be noted that irregulate/irregularize are not part of standard English at this time. – CoolHandLouis Jul 15 '14 at 20:46
Irregulate does seem nonstandard, but irregularize can be formed productively and I see no reason to suggest it's nonstandard. – snailplane Jul 16 '14 at 4:48
@snailplane: For some reason, I feel the meaning of "irregularise" is closer to "make something illegal", whereas "irregulate" feels closer to "disrupting a regular pattern". – Nico Jul 16 '14 at 9:25
@Nico Since I don't think irregulate can be standardly produced I'm not sure what it would mean, but to me irregularize clearly means "to make irregular". – snailplane Jul 16 '14 at 9:29

It seems like regularize has a mathematical meaning like "standardize" or "normalize." Look into the these terms since "destandardize" and "denormalize" seem to be legitimate terms.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.