English Language Learners Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of other languages learning English. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I want to ask my barber to make my hair bald. Which one is correct?

  1. I want to go bald
  2. Bald haircut
share|improve this question
You can ask for your head to be "shaved", where it ends up all shiny and bald-looking. You can ask for a "crewcut" or "flattop" for real short hair. You can ask for a "military style" haircut, or a "marine style" haircut, for real short hair. You can ask for a "buzz cut" too. You can ask for a military style haircut to pass an inspection. Often, you can say: "A marine style haircut, the way it would look two weeks after an inspection" for hair that looks like it has grown two weeks after it was cut for an inspection (and etc.). – F.E. Jul 22 '14 at 15:19
Aside: "make my hair bald" is incorrect. Bald means without hair, so you want the barber to make you bald, not make your hair bald. – Esoteric Screen Name Jul 22 '14 at 15:56
I saw this on hot questions and was wondering why you'd be asking for a bad haircut... – Schism Jul 22 '14 at 17:06
At the White Star Barbershop in my home town of Kitchener they used to sell T-shirts that said "I WANT IT CUT DOWN TO THE WOOD", but I suspect that was a local colloquialism. – Eric Lippert Jul 22 '14 at 18:40
You can ask to have your hair shaved off – user21658 Jul 23 '15 at 17:24
up vote 5 down vote accepted

Neither! Going bald refers only to the natural loss of hair (although your barber would certainly understand you).

Say "take it all off, leave nothing." Or "I want a buzz cut."

share|improve this answer
by bald, I dont mean completely bald. I want to keep little bit of hair. would this be fine "take it all off, close to very short" – meWantToLearn Jul 22 '14 at 13:32
no -- "take it all off" means get rid of all the hair. Hmm... say, "I want it very short, with clippers, no more than 2 millimeter clippers." – hunter Jul 22 '14 at 13:42
@hunter It sounds like you want a "number 2, all over", the barber will know what you mean, more info on the numbering system here - travel.stackexchange.com/a/15984/16657 – JMK Jul 22 '14 at 16:43
In the specific case of wanting your hair almost completely gone, I would probably say, "I want a wiffle." – Brian Jul 22 '14 at 19:19

I would call that a shaved head. You might request this as

I would like my head shaved, please.

The barber would cut off as much hair as possible with clippers, and then use a razor to shave off the remaining stubble. You will then have only the smooth skin on top of your head, but you need to maintain it regularly.

Then, you will appear to be bald, but you will not actually be bald. Baldness is a state in which you cannot grow hair, while choosing to remove all your hair is called shaving your head.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.