English Language Learners Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of other languages learning English. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Let's say I have two windows in my room, both at opposite ends. While one window is connected to another room, the other one is an outer window; by that I mean that, if you open it, you will see the view of outside. The first window goes inside another room.

How can I differentiate between the above mentioned windows? Do the highlighted phrases correctly describe what I want to say?

share|improve this question
First type is 'window facing the outside of the house'. See Matt's answer for the second window type. – EnglishLearner Apr 8 '13 at 19:47
up vote 15 down vote accepted

I would call windows that look out of the house exterior windows and refer to windows pointing to other rooms of the house interior windows.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.