In this dumb example:

— I can hardly find a good example, he said.
— I know, she answered, I can hardly find one too.

What do you call the bold parts of the sentences, which describe how the character is speaking?

I've found many questions/answers about the use of a comma before a quotation, nothing related to the name of the part of the sentence introduced by a comma after a quotation, especially inside a dialog.

If I translate the french word for this in english, it should be a parenthetical element. But in all I've read so far, parenthetical elements never appear in dialogs (I mean in the construction of the dialog, since a character can pronounce a sentence with a parenthetical element, that's not the question).

EDIT: The french word is incise. Sorry I forgot...


I believe this is called the reporting clause

Reported speech: reporting and reported clauses
Speech reports consist of two parts: the reporting clause and the reported clause. The reporting clause includes a verb such as say, tell, ask, reply, shout, usually in the past simple, and the reported clause includes what the original speaker said.

  • 1
    @Arcesilas I studied some French... I never thought it would be handy xD – Em. Aug 10 '16 at 9:27

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.