I am looking for another word for deported person, or a short form of saying it.

2 Answers 2


The word is deportee but you don't want to use that outside of a legal or political context, it's very uncommon in casual conversation. Normally we just say "he/she was deported" rather than using a specific noun.

  • 3
    Why do you say that? Do a search on deportee in Google News it shows up all over the place. Arlo Guthrie even has a song entitled "Deportee"
    – Jim
    Commented Feb 3, 2013 at 19:45
  • 3
    @Jim Woody G, please! Commented Feb 3, 2013 at 20:25
  • 2
    It is used in legal/political context only. It's misleading to suggest it's a common word in general. For instance, you wouldn't say What? Your sister is a deportee?? Of course not. You would say, What?? Your sister was deported? Commented Feb 3, 2013 at 21:15
  • 1
    I'm not sure if we should assume that all English learners are only interested in speaking colloquially. Wouldn't many be interested in immigration law, business, etc; and just understanding what they hear in any context? Commented Feb 4, 2013 at 2:04
  • 2
    ....exactly. Hence this question and answer. But it should be noted that this is not a colloquial word. Commented Feb 4, 2013 at 3:20

In case you were tempted to use the abbreviation DP, just like to note a potential confusion: the acronym 'DP' as in 'DP camp', referring to groups of Eastern European war refugees in Germany in the aftermath of WWII, stands for 'displaced persons'. Not that any comment in this thread confused them, but just pointing it out. As a term 'DP' most likely would be confined to this historical context - I'm not sure if 'displaced persons' is still used in the context of international human rights etc or not.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .