Here's a photo of an aged man: 1

And here's another one when he was younger: 2

What's the English for the spot on the crown of his head? It's too big and quite unusual in shape to be called a mole, isn't it? May it just be called a pigmented spot or there's a more exact and interesting word for it? And the man wasn't born with it and he didn't have it when he was a few decades younger than in the photo.


And here, he is yet much younger:


  • 1
    Hmmm. I suspect that the nevus (flammeus or vascularis, take your pick) was always there, but that some apparatchik in the Commissariat of People's Images decided to apply a little airbrushery. There was a grand tradition of such hijinks—remember the "Vanishing Commissar" Nikolai Yezhov? – P. E. Dant Aug 16 '16 at 22:26
  • @P.E.Dant - You made me laugh remembering the Naked Gun episode where Lesley Nilson during the fist fight rubbed his head top and the spot dissappeared, Lesley exclaimimg something like "So I knew!" – Lamplighter Aug 16 '16 at 22:36

It is called a

port-wine stain (nevus flammeus)

of which Mr Gorbachev has an excellent example.

  • 1
    And a firemark? – Lamplighter Aug 16 '16 at 22:12
  • Yes, firemark is also cited in the Wiki link – Peter Aug 16 '16 at 22:14
  • Strawberry birthmark, is a useful term also, or just Strawberry mark, – P. E. Dant Aug 16 '16 at 22:22
  • I always associated a strawberry mark with girls for some reason. I knew one, even had red hair, she said the story was her Mom ate a lot of strawberries when pregnant. – Peter Aug 17 '16 at 4:53

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.