Am I saying this right?

I am a student at the Faculty of X in the university Y.

For example,

I am a student at the Faculty of Arts in the university of Oxford

I know that, for example, one says: "I am a student at the university X". I am not sure what happens when there is "the faculty of X" in the play. Thanks a lot!

  • 1
    I'm not entirely sure what you mean. Generally, students are not faculty and faculty are not students. Please explain what you are trying to say with more details.
    – Em.
    Aug 17, 2016 at 5:09
  • @Max I am not sure what causes confusion. I am asking about the proper way to say, for example, that: "I am a student at the Faculty of Arts in the university of Oxford". My question is whether or not my usages of "at" and "in" are correct.
    – Quelqu'un
    Aug 17, 2016 at 5:20
  • It's confusing because I've never heard of "at the Faculty of X in the university Y". Also, you need to provide specific examples, just like that one because what's right or wrong can depend on a variety of factors, like the school's name.
    – Em.
    Aug 17, 2016 at 5:23
  • I am a student in Arts faculty at Oxford university (the shorter the sentence, the better, IMO). In the faculty of X at the university of Y.
    – user33000
    Aug 17, 2016 at 6:06
  • 1
    @Cardinal Thanks. I thought so too. But there are too many variables that I do not understand, like, campus culture, school/college names within the university, the full name of the university, and differences between US and UK naming. Unless, OP means I am an art student at Oxford, then, that's probably universally accepted.
    – Em.
    Aug 17, 2016 at 7:16

2 Answers 2


"Faculty" is a venerable term for a university division1, still used by some schools either in place of or alongside more modern designations like "department" and "school"2.

In all cases (Faculty of X, X Department, etc.) you could say either

I'm a student in [Your Division] at [Your School].

or, if your division has its own "name", such as a named College or professional school within a larger university,

I'm a student at [Your Named Division] at [Your School].

You could also say

I'm a(n) [your subject] student at [Your School].

Your specific example doesn't work, because as far as I can tell, the University of Oxford (the famous old one in England) doesn't currently have a Faculty of Arts.3 However, one could say:

I'm a student in the Faculty of Music at the University of Oxford.

I'm a student in the History of Art Department at the University of Oxford.

I'm a student at the Ruskin School of Art at the University of Oxford.

or, respectively,

I'm an art history/art/music student at Oxford.

The first set are quite formal, suitable for writing in a cover letter to a resume; the last is probably more natural when speaking, and I think would be most universally understood.

Note that you should avoid saying "I'm an Arts Faculty student", at least in the US, because "faculty" can mean "professor" so it sounds contradictory.

1 According to Wikipedia,

A Faculty of Arts is a university division specializing in teaching in areas traditionally classified as "arts" for academic purposes, generally including creative arts, writing, philosophy, and humanities. It was one of the four traditional divisions of the teaching bodies of medieval universities, the others being Law, Medicine and Theology.

2 (Source) U of Manitoba Faculties

(Source) ![U of Auckland Faculties

3 (Source) U of Oxford


I think better you say that : I am X Faculty student at university Y

For example, I am Commerce student at Cambridge University.

  • 1
    Note that, for example, York University is in Canada, whereas the University of York is in England, because "of" is part of the university's name.
    – James K
    Aug 17, 2016 at 7:17
  • then "I am a student at the Faculty of Arts in the university of Oxford" can be used. Aug 17, 2016 at 7:46

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .