“crashed his remote control airplane[audio link] (Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone)

Airplane sounds like in the audio /ˈerəpleɪn / instead of /ˈeəpleɪn/.
Is he really pronouncing the intrusive /r/, if yes, is it common?

1 Answer 1


In that recording, the speaker is pronouncing the word aeroplane. That is the word used in British English.

The word airplane is the word used in American English.

See this link for aeroplane, where it has a recording of it being pronounced and also says (US airplane). This link for airplane has recordings of American and English pronunciations and also says US for aeroplane.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .