What is the name for metal elements reinforcing and protecting wooden elements, for example on coffers, doors, wooden window shutters, even covers of finest ancient books - often decorative?

(my attempts at Google Translate returns only pipe plumbing parts apparently).

enter image description here enter image description here


3 Answers 3


For a chest i would call them metal fittings, maybe also metal embellishments if they are purely decorative, but for a door there is also door furniture.


I would call these simply ironwork. From Wikipedia:

Ironwork is any weapon, artwork, utensil or architectural feature made of iron especially used for decoration.

As you can see, the term is somewhat more general than what you describe, but it seems to be to be appropriate. One of the images Wikipedia gives seems to fit your description, as well:

Image licensed under Creative Commons CC0 1.0 Universal Public Domain Dedication

I'm not certain that this is the best term, but it's the best one I can think of.


We can call these as Metal carvings on wood.

  • Whosoever Downvoted : Please provide a valid reason
    – Sweet72
    Sep 12, 2013 at 17:36
  • 1
    Not the downvoter, but metal is not carved; so the terminology is simply incorrect.
    – Hellion
    Sep 12, 2013 at 17:43
  • If metal is not carved , then what will you call these images which I found under the search word metal carvings : google.co.in/…
    – Sweet72
    Sep 12, 2013 at 17:56
  • worked, etched, welded, shaped, tooled.
    – Hellion
    Sep 12, 2013 at 18:04
  • So you mean the search results shown by google are wrong?!!
    – Sweet72
    Sep 12, 2013 at 18:05

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .