I know that "center" and "centre" are the respective American and British spellings of the word, but is "recenter" spelt "recentre" in the British way, or not? I tried to Google for "recentre", but no dictionary came up with it. Actually, is that even a real word? I'm trying to get the word meaning

to bring back to the middle after being away from it

  • Did you try to find out if recenter (not recentre) was a word? That would at least answer the first part of your question :) – WendiKidd Sep 14 '13 at 3:04
  • @WendiKidd: after looking up other sites, it looks like it doesn't exist. What would be a word or phrase that suits what I'm looking for (Google really isn't helpful for these things)? – Qantas 94 Heavy Sep 14 '13 at 3:12
  • 1
    Recenter is definitely a word. Collins lists recentre as its British spelling, for what it's worth. – snailplane Sep 14 '13 at 6:49
  • 1
    I suppose it might not be in that many dictionaries because re- is still relatively productive, and it's compositional with center (or centre). – snailplane Sep 14 '13 at 6:55
  • I know the noun "centre" is spelt "centre" in British English, but what about the verb? – Andrew Grimm Sep 14 '13 at 8:41

According to Google ngram viewer

it does exist; it's used about 1/5 as much as `recenter'.

but the pattern of "center" and "centre" is very different over time.

Odd.... and fuel for thought!

  • 1
    Also interesting to look at the American corpus alone which shows that "center" only came to dominate US english a little over a century ago. – Nigel Harper Sep 14 '13 at 16:25
  • Thanks - just looking at one more site obviously wasn't enough! – Qantas 94 Heavy Sep 14 '13 at 23:45
  • @NigelHarper That's because of Noah Webster's spelling reforms. Pre-Webster, we all used centre, and even post-Webster it took some time for center to catch on in the States. – snailplane Sep 15 '13 at 11:45

If you're British, you can certainly recentre an image (on a display, for example). Americans, obviously, would recenter it. That's in the sense of to place or fix in the centre (again).

There was never a time when anyone on either side of the Atlantic would have spelt centre/center differently for verb/noun senses; the derived re- forms for verbs simply reflect the relevant "standard".

I suppose because I'm more accustomed to the British spelling, the American version puts me in mind of a non-native speaker's attempt to convey more recent. That's a complete no-no today, of course, but it was sometimes used that way a couple of centuries ago.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.