When buying books in books-shop, we see sometimes a transparent cover which covers the book hermetically as a sign that it's new and nobody used or opened it. What is the name of this cover in English? (how to name it?) Can I say simply cover and everybody will understand What I'm talking about?

  • 2
    Similar question. Sep 20, 2016 at 16:29
  • 2
    Except, Ganesh, that I don't think Shrink-wrapped is the be-all, end all-term. For magazines especially, plastic cover itself seems a possibly more apt and more used term. Sep 20, 2016 at 16:42

3 Answers 3


Don't confuse the clear wrapping with the dust jacket that's on a hardcover book. For most people, "cover" will mean the same thing as dust jacket.

I think what you're describing is clear plastic shrinkwrap.

A protective wrapping made from clear plastic film that is shrunk onto an object by heat

EDIT The loose plastic covering that a magazine comes in might better be called a sleeve or a mailer, since it's not shrunk tightly onto the magazine inside.


Cellophane is a thin, transparent sheet made of regenerated cellulose. Its low permeability to air, oils, greases, bacteria, and water makes it useful for food packaging. --from wikipedea

  • 2
    Welcome to ELL. Thank you for your contribution, but it doesn't directly answer the OP's question. Could you update your answer to say that a layer of material of this type covering a book would be called a cellophane wrapper?
    – JavaLatte
    Sep 20, 2016 at 17:50
  • @JavaLatte If you think you can improve an answer, submit an edit.
    – voices
    Sep 21, 2016 at 8:41
  • 1
    @tjt263, If we encourage and advise new contributors, they will continue to give interesting answers: if we simply change their answers, they may be discouraged.
    – JavaLatte
    Sep 21, 2016 at 14:07
  • More likely they will either; be unaware, be thankful, or be mildly frustrated and roll it back. I am new; this is my experience.
    – voices
    Sep 25, 2016 at 9:21

Since paper deteriorates over time, proper protection can be critical especially for older books. Many sacred texts on parchment or similar do not allow people to touch the paper as the oil from the hands can also cause deterioration to the paper. In religious circles, rarely is plastic used to protect the books, but in rare occurences when it is used, this protector is called a "Wearsie Bind"

  • 1
    Thank you for your answer and welcome to ELL. Please review our tour and Help Center pages. (This is an interesting answer, even if not what the question refers to. "Wearsie neck" is sometimes used to refer to the posture problem otherwise called "scholar's neck.") We hope you'll answer more questions and ask some of your own. Sep 21, 2016 at 1:55

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .