I am living in Denmark and there is a kind of ice-cream that they call "Soft Ice". Do we have the same world in English or is it just "Soft serve"?

  • Comments are not for extended discussion; this conversation has been moved to chat.
    – ColleenV
    Feb 12, 2019 at 21:48

2 Answers 2


Googling Denmark "soft ice" looks like exactly what Americans would call "soft serve" or soft serve ice cream. There is an ice-cream adjacent treat made of literal soft ice (at least in New York) that we call shaved ice or Italian ice. It's somewhat similar to granita.


Without knowing exactly what you get when you order 'Soft Ice' in Denmark, it's hard to say what the equivalent in English is. But I can tell you that in the U.S.A. we don't use the term 'Soft Ice'.

Soft-serve ice cream comes out of a machine straight into a dish or cone, and has the consistency of mashed potatoes.

@user3169 is correct that we wouldn't call ice cream 'ice'.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .