What do you call a student who always sucks up to the teachers / professors in order to gain better marks or an employee who get a promotion by complementing a higher manager or boss etc. in the polite and impolite way?

  • You could call them a creep if you wished to be impolite. How do so tactfully is not within the scope of ELL.You could try asking on Workplace. – Mick Sep 26 '16 at 15:59
  • 1
    Sycophant A person who acts obsequiously towards someone important in order to gain advantage. Synonyms: toady, creep, crawler, fawner, flatterer, flunkey, truckler, groveller, doormat, lickspittle, kowtower, obsequious person, minion, hanger-on, leech, puppet, spaniel, Uriah Heep,... – FumbleFingers Reinstate Monica Sep 26 '16 at 16:10
  • Someone who always goes along with a boss and praises their decisions and conclusions can be called a "yes man". For some reason there does not seem to be a common equivalent gender-neutral term. – Spehro Pefhany Sep 26 '16 at 19:40
  • @FumbleFingers for me the closest adjective to "sycophant" in this sense would be "flatterer". Do you confirm it? – A-friend Oct 1 '16 at 8:28
  • No, I don't. I can just about imagine a woman saying You're a flatterer! to some creepy guy who's trying to get into her pants by overdoing the compliments, but I can't see a bunch of guys standing round the office water cooler saying John's a flatterer! when talking about the office brownnose / creep. Bear in mind that however you refer to such a person, it will be a negative label, which means you're probably okay to use "slang" terms. If you're in a formal context you probably shouldn't even be talking about such matters, so you don't really need a "formal" term. – FumbleFingers Reinstate Monica Oct 1 '16 at 14:27

You could call the person a suck-up, or a brownnoser. These two are insults.

  • suck-up
    a person who tries to get the approval of someone in authority by saying and doing helpful and friendly things that are not sincere
  • brownnose
    : to try to get the approval of (an important or powerful person) by praise, flattery, etc.
| improve this answer | |
  • Dang! Neither of your two suggestions are in the list I posted in my comment! All this really goes to show is there are a lot of different terms in this general area. – FumbleFingers Reinstate Monica Sep 26 '16 at 16:12
  • Thank you, Max. Just please let me know if "to suck up" can be used in polite cases in AE or I have to look for another alternative? – A-friend Oct 1 '16 at 8:30
  • No, it's not polite. But it's not a polite concept to begin with. What I mean is that using a formal or informal word for this doesn't matter. I believe it will always be rude or impolite since it's an insult. Such behaviors are frowned upon, at least in American culture. – Em. Oct 1 '16 at 22:34

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.