Is there an English word for a person who "voraciously" collects objects of his or her interest?

  • What do you mean by "voraciously" in scare quotes? (Are they used as scare quotes?) Do you mean something like speculative collectors? Or maybe compulsive hoarders? – Damkerng T. Oct 15 '16 at 10:25
  • Are you looking for a noun? Or an adjective that could be applied to the noun collector? – Tᴚoɯɐuo Oct 15 '16 at 11:22
  • I am looking for a noun. – sawa Oct 15 '16 at 11:42

Check for the below word:


The definition from Google is as follows:




noun: completist; plural noun: completists

an obsessive, typically indiscriminate, collector or fan of something.

"this compilation of singles and B-sides has it usefulness for completists"

dictionary.com defines the same word as:


1.a person who attempts to complete a collection or set, especially a collector who wants to collect an example of every item in a particular field: 

This recording is a must for obsessive Sinatra completists.

I'd only recommend this movie to Hepburn Completists.

This best suits the behaviour mentioned.

  • Is this word commonly used among native speakers? – sawa Oct 15 '16 at 11:44
  • 1
    It was identified in this 2007 work as a neologism that appeared in the late 1960s. books.google.com/… – Tᴚoɯɐuo Oct 15 '16 at 11:53

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.