I made a video on a computer (where I clicked here and there and did stuff). I am not seen in the video; only the screen is seen. I commented on and explained the stuff I clicked.

What is the word for a person who does this explanation?

I want to put a text into the video stating some data and also stating my name as the person who did the talking. Like this:

Company: ...my company...
Date: ...the date...
person-who-did-the-talking: ...my name...

So it has to be one word.

The translations from my mother tongue word "Sprecher" (German) range from "speaker" over "spokesperson", "talker", "narrator" to "enunciator" and "announcer". I have no idea which one to use, or if any of them even fits here.


What you are doing is called a voice-over. The terms I've personally seen used to describe the person speaking in a voice-over are:

  • narrator
  • commentator
  • presenter


  • voice-over artist
  • 1
    In American English (AmE), narrator or possibly commentator. The use of presenter is not (widely) used in American English and will sound strange to many/most speakers of AmE; I think it's British English. – Alan Carmack Oct 24 '16 at 17:39
  • @AlanCarmack thanks for your comment. As far as I can recall, I've only ever heard people with a British or Anglo-Indian accent using presenter in this sense, although the data sample was too small for me to make a bold claim. – J. Siebeneichler Oct 24 '16 at 19:05

I would use narrator, but speaker is fine.

A narrator is almost always unseen. The word narrator is used most often when that parson is telling a story, or explaining what is happening on screen/in the text/etc.

A speaker would just be a more general term, and would not be incorrect.

The word talker is not commonly used, announcer generally refers to sports or scorekeeping, and enunciator is explaining/expanding on ideas (also not commonly used).

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.