My Merriam-Webster dictionary says the prefix stem in words such as the one in "equilateral triangle" (triangle with equal sides), is "equi-", meaning "same".

What I would like to know is, similarly, is there another prefix that can be attached at the beginning of a word to convey the meaning of "different"?


  • Are you thinking of something like contra... as in contradiction? The prefixes de..., and dis... also carry some similar notions.
    – WS2
    Oct 30, 2016 at 7:50
  • But those stands for "not", or "opposite". Was think bff about something more along the lines of a complement set, if it exists. Thanks. Oct 31, 2016 at 7:35

1 Answer 1


For your particular example the term is inequilateral. I believe, the prefix to be used depends on the context, there is no universal prefix for 'not equal' that can be applied to all words..

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .