In an equation 7 - 3 = 4, the 7 is called minuend and the 3 is called subtrahend.

Then what are the appropriate terms for the 7, 3, 1 in 7 ≡ 1 (mod 3)?

  • 4
    Minuend and subtrahend are very old-fashioned terms. I never had to learn them, even 50 years ago. I would just call them arguments. You might get a more informed opinion at Mathematics.SE.
    – Mick
    Nov 3 '16 at 12:50
  • 1
    @Mick I don't consider them old-fashioned; they are instead domain-specific. I learned them at some point in my mathematical education. There's not a lot of call for them outside of a math context, so most people probably forget about them about 30 seconds after learning them.
    – Hellion
    Nov 3 '16 at 14:01
  • @Hellion: I'm no mathematician, but I'd be pretty certain the number of people writing in English about such things has increased over the past half-century. During which period the prevalence of both these terms has apparently gone down by about 75%, so I think what Mick says is right - they're going out of fashion. Nov 3 '16 at 14:43
  • @Hellion I suppose it depends on what education system you went through. In the UK state system, numerator, denominator, product and divisor was about as far as it went. I did go on to study maths at degree level.
    – Mick
    Nov 3 '16 at 14:58

In your example, 7 is the


and 3 is the



  • To take things one step further, the modulo operation can be defined in terms of integer division. In that case, 3 is the divisor, 7 is the dividend, 2 is the quotient, and 1 is the remainder. The statement "7 is congruent to 1, modulo 3" means that the divisors 7 and 1 have the same remainder (1, obviously) when the divisor is 3. Nov 3 '16 at 16:04

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.