The blue color mentioned part, what do you call it in English? (not the red part)

enter image description here enter image description here

  • Do you want to know what a layperson would call it, or what a foot doctor would call it?
    – TimR
    Nov 4, 2016 at 12:17
  • I don't think a lay person would call it anything specific... "The place under my ankle bone" would be my guess but... As I said... There could be many options.
    – Catija
    Nov 4, 2016 at 12:39
  • It's not really part of a leg, is it? More like the foot. Inner heel?
    – Mari-Lou A
    Nov 4, 2016 at 12:47
  • @Mari-LouA inner? Seems like the outside to me.
    – Catija
    Nov 4, 2016 at 12:57
  • 4
    I'm voting to close this question as off-topic because it is not about learning English, but rather asks about specific medical terminology. A medical reference should be consulted.
    – user3169
    Nov 5, 2016 at 5:22

2 Answers 2


I would call it the ankle bone, and that is how I would refer to it when consulting my doctor. It is just the end of the fibula. The medical term for it appears to be the lateral malleolus.

Since you appear to be asking for the name of the space underneath the ankle bone, I will have to disappoint you. There may be a medical term for it, but I'm not a doctor.

WebMD: Picture of the Ankle

  • 1
    The question seems to be about the space under the ankle bone...
    – Catija
    Nov 4, 2016 at 13:02
  • I doubt if there is a name for that. The inferior lateral malleolus external cavity, perhaps?
    – Mick
    Nov 4, 2016 at 13:18
  • 1
    That's my point... For learners, often times the answer is "there's not a word for that". Adding that to your answer would make it more complete. See my first comment on the question.
    – Catija
    Nov 4, 2016 at 13:21
  • spot tissue under the ankle bone...
    – Lambie
    Nov 4, 2016 at 15:38
  • @Lambie Do you mean soft tissue?
    – Mick
    Nov 4, 2016 at 15:43

In clinical anatomical terms, this place that you pointed out is called lateral malleolus. I have attached for you illustration.

It is called lateral, as it's common in anatomy to call the outer part / direction- lateral while the inner part / direction is called medial.

Malleolus is the name for the distal part of the fibula bone. This name (malleolus) came from Latin meaning hammer, because its shape.

The term ankle is more general and it is a larger erea includes the medial malleolus in the second side, that it to say, on the opposite site that you pointed on. In the bottom line it includes much more erea than you wanted to point. See here for more details.

enter image description here

enter image description here

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .