Would you still call a ribbon-hung badge a badge if it were to be worn to show you have permission to leave a place, enter one or use a facility? Would the place make any difference if it was a factory, company/organization or school?

I think a badge is generic enough to use it in various situations, other than as an ID or to show you are a visitor, and whether hung around the neck, pinned or sewn to clothes.

Someone suggested I call it a pass or a permit. What do you think?

  • No everyone cares to make that distinction. uline.com/BL_820/Badge-Holders – Tᴚoɯɐuo Nov 5 '16 at 15:51
  • Permit and pass have a more general usage than badge, and often refer to permission to take a specific action, for example a "parking permit". Adding definitions to your question might be helpful. – user3169 Nov 5 '16 at 18:43

"Badge" is a generic term for a device that shows authorization or authority. You would use your badge to get into a restricted area because your job requires that you be there.

A "permit" or a "pass" connotes permission to enter an area, but the feeling is that you have been authorized by someone else, usually only temporarily, because your job doesn't require you to be there all the time, or you are only required for a specified period of time.

For example,

I got a parking permit (or parking pass) that allows me to park in the lot near my office, but I need a badge to get into the office itself.

If you want to get onto the military base you need to be issued a pass by the guard, unless you are on active duty, in which case you just show them your ID badge at the gate.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.