I'm originally from central Europe, currently living second year in the UK. I work in an IT company surrounded only by native speakers.
I can feel that speed I learn English rapidly decreased since I moved here. Yes, I can express myself, I can work here, but my ability to speak in English is around 20% of my mother tongue. Passive knowledge is not problem, but active is quite pain.
Is here some way how can I speak lets say in 10 years as a native speaker ?
Yes, it sounds silly, but please try to think about that. I just don't believe there is no way and I should just wait until it fix itself.
I make really simple mistakes
- Not using a/an
- Using he instead of she
- Using sleepover instead of oversleep
- Wrong usage of have/has
- Wrong usage of (have/has/had) been
What I have tried so far
- English classes - It is quite hard to pay attention after work. Focusing on topics I don't need
- Text books - I just don't like it
- I read a and watch a lot of English videos, but does it really helps ?
Ideas I have
- f2f English class just for me, not in a classroom - I can focus on topics I really need
- Start blogging and have each post checked by someone before publishing - I can learn from my mistakes
- Socialising - I'm introvert in any language, but maybe I should try harder