For example, if there was a sofa in the room, and there were 3 people sitting on it, and there was a little space between their seat. How do you ask them to "move" or to "come close" to each other so that I can fit in, and have a seat with them?

Note: It's that one word that I'm looking for here that I used to know that you can use in this particular situation, but unfortunately, I'm non-native English speaker, that's why sometimes, I forget some words; It is used when you want to ask your seatmate to move to that empty space, or something like that.

Thanks for the answer.


It looks like you wanted scoot over.

  1. scoot
    2 : to slide especially while seated <scoot over and let me sit down>
  2. scoot over
    Move to the side, especially to make room. For example, If you scoot over a little I'll have room to sit down.
  • Usage note: this would be recognised in the US but is uncommon in the UK. – AndyT Jan 29 '18 at 14:59

In the UK one would normally ask somebody to hutch up, shuffle up or shuffle along (all of these are polite but informal) or move over- more formal but slightly less polite, or shove over which is neither formal nor polite.

  • 1
    Or you could ask "May I squeeze in beside you?" or "Do you think there is room for another?", which should prompt the sitters to move up. – Kate Bunting May 3 at 8:22

budge up

works, meaning:

To move or scoot over in order to make room for someone, especially when sitting.

  • 1
    Usage note: this would be recognised in the UK. I suspect it is uncommon in the US. – AndyT Jan 29 '18 at 14:59

I want to be a bit informal on this one and to wider the usage. Here are examples I often see and read.

  • make space
  • move over
  • move aside
  • shove over
  • move off
  • scooch over
  • scoot over
  • give me some room

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.