When faced with the task of translating academic documents, I often encounter difficulties with translating the dominant of a field of study. Let me take an example.

Your studies were about cooking in general. In the last year, you specialized in cooking pastas. At the end of the last year, on your diploma, you'll get :
Bachelor in cooking, _____ (specialty ? dominant ? mention ?) pastas.

I want to express the fact that you know how to cook, however your knowledge of pasta is predominant over the general knowledge you have acquired. I have put some words I have thought of, but I am uncertain if they fit the situation I described.

If needed, here are a few more similar examples where the word I look for is missing :

Master of Art, ______ Photography

B.Sc. Biology, ______ Stem cells and bioethics

1 Answer 1


Many universities use the term concentration - see definition 1b:

an academic major or area of focus within a major

It may not always appear in the actual degree paperwork, so it won't be capitalized in full sentences.

I have a BS in Physics, with a concentration in electro-optics.

  • So you can say either : Master of Art, Major Photography ? Or even : Master of Art, Concentration Photography ? Commented Nov 22, 2016 at 16:42
  • 2
    "Master of Fine Arts, Concentration in Photography" = Fine Arts is the major. "MA in Photography" = Photography is the major (and "MA" stands for Master of Arts). Comparing to your B.Sc. Biology, Biology is the major, stem cells etc. is the concentration
    – John Feltz
    Commented Nov 22, 2016 at 16:58
  • I almost got it wrong then, thanks for clarifying ! Commented Nov 22, 2016 at 17:00

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .