I am looking for a word to mean "make opaque".

I'm thinking, perhaps "obscured" or "block", but neither sound right.

Example: I put electrical tape over the LED lights to [your word] them.

  • I think you'll have more options if you rephrase the to part with a so (that) clause. – Damkerng T. Nov 23 '16 at 12:42
  • In czech, we say stínit, my dictionary translates it as shield, is that correct? – Probably Dec 10 '16 at 9:18

Both "block" and "obscure" can be used.

"Block" implies that you have eliminated 100% of the light; "obscure" doesn't necessarily imply 100%.

I blocked the LEDs by putting tape over them.

My view out the window was obscured by the ivy; I could see Mary but couldn't see who she was talking to.

Block (verb definition 1d)

to shut off from view

Obscure (transitive verb definitions 1 and 2)

to make dark, dim, or indistinct

to conceal or hide by or as if by covering

| improve this answer | |

In addition to other answers, another option is, simply, to cover.

You may also consider hide, though that to me implies they were bothersome/irrelevant/unsightly.

| improve this answer | |

I would suggest that the word you're looking for would be the verb


verb -fies, -fying or -fied to make or become opaque

| improve this answer | |
  • 1
    I don't know that this is a good choice for putting electrical tape over a light, but it is an interesting addition. Opacify is more for changing the state of a substance to make it more opaque. wordnik.com/words/opacify : "The westering sun slanted in through the window and he didn't bother to push the contact that would opacify the glass." It's a subtle distinction though (opaque material does block more light than clear). – ColleenV Sep 21 '17 at 16:48

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.