Is this a tub, a box, a bottle? Or is there a better word for it?

container in question

Unfortunately, the product page at tesco.com doesn't say what the tablets come in - only that frying information isn't applicable... ;-)

  • Chewable pills or powder I guess, you can't chew liquid. Nov 24 '16 at 10:45
  • Perhaps prescription bottle
    – user178049
    Nov 24 '16 at 13:36
  • 1
    In the US pills generally come in "bottles". "boxes" are usually made of some kind of paper product (usually cardboard). "tubs" are bathtub shaped containers with a flat top.
    – user3169
    Nov 25 '16 at 6:13

Seeing as it's medicinal in nature, I'd say it was a bottle, or more specifically, a pill bottle.

If it were a liquid medicine on the other hand, I'd refer to it as a vial.

If I were to be more generic, I'd simply refer to it as a container.

Edit: This is a container for another, similar Tesco supplement (in this case it's a multivitamin container)

enter image description here

The manufacturer refers to the container as a bottle.

  • It doesn't look like a vial ))) A vial is typically made of glass and contains liquid. Nov 24 '16 at 10:41
  • I agree. That's why I added the qualifier "if it were a liquid medicine..."
    – mike
    Nov 24 '16 at 10:42
  • In Canadian English I would call this a plastic bottle, no matter what was in it.
    – CCTO
    Dec 30 '20 at 21:13

To me (Russian) it's definitely a 'can', not a 'bottle' or a 'tub'.

Here's how a can of medicine or pills looks like

But if we speak about medicine it could really be a pill bottle, pharmacy bottle, or a pill container.

That's what a Pill Bottle, Pharmacy Bottle or a Pill Container looks like

It could also be a jar, maybe. Plastic jar. I don't agree with vial, even a plastic one, since I haven't found any images of a vial looking something similar to the given image.

  • 3
    As it comes from a UK shop, we definitely wouldn't call it a can, bottle sounds most correct to me. But of course it will differ in other English speaking countries.
    – user42526
    Nov 24 '16 at 11:41
  • @JamesP I think Russian-English. I've seen many images of cans and canned products to say that this looks exactly like a can. But it's also definitely a pill bottle or a pharmacy bottle or a pill container. Nov 24 '16 at 11:47
  • 1
    Maybe a can of Pringles But a can of potato chips (UK crisps) is usually lined with that metal looking stuff. Canned sardines, meat, soups etc are metal containers. Plastic is not the same.
    – Mari-Lou A
    Nov 24 '16 at 13:14
  • Yes, "can" would be wrong. Mar 19 '17 at 0:37

In a pharmacy this bottle holds medication such as tablets and capsules and they are called amber bottles.

  • Amber refers to the colour, a dark browny red shade. And this type of bottle is nearly always made of glass, the picture in the question is clearly a different colour bottle made of plastic.
    – Mari-Lou A
    Jul 1 '20 at 0:09

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.