The word "alt-right" is everywhere to see on TV and social media.

Does "alt-left" also exist in English language? Why is "alt-right" widely used while "alt-left" seldom used or seen?

closed as off-topic by user3169, Nathan Tuggy, Glorfindel, LMS, Lamplighter Nov 28 '16 at 20:17

  • This question does not appear to be about learning the English language within the scope defined in the help center.
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • 4
    I'm voting to close this question as off-topic because it asks about political terminology, and is not about learning English. – user3169 Nov 28 '16 at 6:31

The "alt-right" has been in the news because of the noise they made during the elections in the US.


is short for "alternative-right" and is a far-right political movement.

The alt-left does exist, but it may not be what you expect it to be.

Since "alt-" is being used as a shortened form of "alternative", practically anything that could be called "alternative" might use "alt-".

As an aside, "alt-" also has the meaning in computer science of holding down the "alt" key while pressing a secondary key creating a two-keystroke command, e.g. alt-A.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.