I can't find a proper verb to describe the movement of your feet when you slip on an icy surface, then your feet go in "opposite" directions and you lose your balance, because your feet...apart.I thought of "slide apart" but couldn't find it in any reliable source. Thanks.

  • Slide sideways? – SovereignSun Dec 5 '16 at 5:49
  • 2
    It's not your feet, it's your legs. How about "do the splits"? – Mick Dec 5 '16 at 5:52
  • 1
    We also say "His feet went out from under him". – Tᴚoɯɐuo Dec 5 '16 at 12:05

Your feet can either

slide apart


split apart

it depends how quickly it happens.

"Sliding apart" can be slowly and gradually to fairly quick, but "split apart" is instantaneously.

| improve this answer | |
  • 1
    Are "feet", or "legs"(or both) used? Thanks. – V.V. Dec 5 '16 at 9:32
  • Feet "slide apart", feet or legs can "split apart". – Peter Dec 5 '16 at 13:58

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.