In now-days there are two types of blackboards: one is green (it's used with chalk) and the second is white (it's used with marker pen).

My question is if there is a specific name for white-blackboard? (In my language we simply refer to the white one as "white blackboard".)

Whiteboard for pens Green board for chalk

  • 7
    It's a whiteboard strangely enough :) – ColleenV Dec 10 '16 at 2:11
  • Thank you:) so if I saw people who referred to it as a blackboard, then they were wrong? – Judicious Allure Dec 10 '16 at 2:26
  • 1
    It depends - if it was a classroom, calling it a blackboard would be like calling a tissue a "kleenex" . Teachers write on the blackboard, even if sometimes it is a whiteboard or it is green. If you were in an office, it wouldn't be natural to call it a blackboard. In an office, whiteboards are usual, so you might even call a pane of glass that someone uses like a whiteboard a whiteboard. Are you confused yet? I think you should add the part about people calling it a blackboard into your question. – ColleenV Dec 10 '16 at 2:31
  • I got it. you actually says that the word "blackboard" became to generic name in case of schools and collages and not in case of offices. Isn't it? – Judicious Allure Dec 10 '16 at 2:47
  • 2
    And of course you can call all of them, whether white, green, or black, "the board". Who would like to write the equation on the board? – Tᴚoɯɐuo Dec 10 '16 at 17:34

The white coloured "blackboard" is actually called whiteboard commonly in corporates offices and such places, where people write on it with a marker pen.

The name is now well established, and has propagated into software as well, where some conference calling applications also provide a "virtual whiteboard" which the participants can annotate for others to see.

| improve this answer | |
  • In today's drive for being politically correct (black versus white), also due to the fact that they can be green as indicated in the question, a blackboard is generally termed a chalkboard and a whiteboard is termed a marker board – Chris Rogers Dec 14 '16 at 10:13
  • Calling black black and white white is considered politically incorrect? :o It sounds like a lot of people are evolving backwards these days. – Masked Man Dec 14 '16 at 10:35
  • I agree. Black is black and white is white. How someone got this to involve race I don't know. I have heard the same with white and black coffee. (Coffee with milk or coffee with no milk). – Chris Rogers Dec 14 '16 at 10:51

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.