I'm trying to recall this one adjectives. It's often used to describe courses for people who need to return to the basics of Mathematics or English, for instance.

We might also assure a class that "using the writing center is not only for students who need __ help."

  • It sounds like "renumerative" but clearly is not. Commented Dec 13, 2016 at 7:38
  • 2
    Remedial, perhaps?
    – Mick
    Commented Dec 13, 2016 at 7:42
  • 1
    Courses geared towards people who need to return to the basics of a subject are often called refresher courses, or refresher in fundamentals of <subject>
    – mike
    Commented Dec 13, 2016 at 7:49
  • @Mick, this is a factual information request and the correct answer has been provided. Why wait? Commented Dec 14, 2016 at 8:59

1 Answer 1


You could use remedial, but this would imply that the students understanding is defective or incomplete in some way. Note that remedial teaching is a lot different from taking a "refresher" course (or doing revision).

Remedial adjective (EDUCATION)

Mainly UK: relating to teaching that is intended to help people who have difficulties in reading or writing:

  • remedial classes/courses

  • She is a teacher of remedial English.

Cambridge Dictionary

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .