I want to know that the flatus which produce sound is said to be _______.

In other words, when someone farts but produce sound with it, that action is said to be (a) ______?

  • Perhaps you mean ftatulence, in common English, a fart. – Lambie Dec 17 '16 at 17:27
  • @Lambie ftatulence -> flatulence – JeremyDouglass Dec 18 '16 at 8:41
  • Worth noting that in my experience "flatulence" is a common enough slightly clinical phrase for gas / a fart, but "flatus" looks like an obscure medical term that I would expect to be almost totally unknown -- I had never heard of it before this question. – JeremyDouglass Dec 18 '16 at 8:45

One term is trump (BrE, possibly dated). This directly replaces fart as a verb, but it also means the sound that is made. A trumpeter makes the same sound (with the lips) when playing a trumpet.

trump verb [NO OBJECT] informal

Break wind audibly.

trump noun (archaic)

A trumpet or a trumpet blast.

Oxford Dictionaries

  • I dunno about this one - I don't think ever once in my life have I (northeastern US English native speaker) heard this used. – stangdon Dec 17 '16 at 16:10
  • @stangdon Any British ex-schoolboy (of a certain age) will be familiar with it. I'll amend my answer. – Mick Dec 17 '16 at 16:13
  • Fair enough! I'll amend my comment to point out where it is that I haven't heard it. – stangdon Dec 17 '16 at 16:15
  • @stangdon This has caused a great deal of hilarity in the UK with regards to the current POTUS-elect. – Mick Dec 17 '16 at 16:20
  • a trumpeting sound. – Lambie Dec 17 '16 at 17:29

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.