So I have a number of different sets of data, let's call them A, B, C, D etc. I also have a number of analysis methods for the data. Let's call them 1, 2, 3 etc.

I'm looking for a word or a phrase, if no single word exists, that can be used to explain the combination of the data and analysis method. So I'd have let's say α=(A,1), β=(A,2), γ=(B,3). What name would I use for the α, β or γ?

I was initially thinking of just using "dataset", but with that word, people tend to confuse A, B, C and α, β, γ.


OK, I see that people are taking interest, but I'm nor 100% sure if I explained clearly what I'm trying to do. So here's a couple of examples:
Table example

Here's another example:

After comparison of results, WHAT α has shown more accurate results than β, while WHAT γ has shown marginally worse results than α, but had 30% faster processing time...

  • In database theory, a view is the result set of a stored query on the data. Would you be happy to call your "analysis methods" stored queries? Dec 19, 2016 at 14:33
  • @FumbleFingers While this would help CS people understand what is happening, I dont think that would make it clearer for my intended audience, which comes from medical and control systems fields.
    – AndrejaKo
    Dec 19, 2016 at 14:59
  • Why would your intended audience not understand the basic figurative allusion in view? Dec 19, 2016 at 15:12
  • @FumbleFingers I don't know why, but I tested this in the meantime and had negative results.
    – AndrejaKo
    Dec 19, 2016 at 15:42
  • Perhaps you need to explain in more detail exactly what you want your audience to understand from your terminology. Is it actually the basic concept of what professionals in the business of data analysis & presentation would call a view, or something different? Dec 19, 2016 at 15:46

2 Answers 2


I would think the most applicable term is, as you have already said, "combination", since that is what you are doing with your methods 1, 2, 3 and datasets A, B, C. You are combining them in different ways to get different results, and (I assume) prove the relative effectiveness of different analytical methods.

So alpha is the combination of dataset A and method 1, beta is the combination of dataset B and method 1, gamma the combination of B and method 3, and so on.


When you have data, and you run it through a method, what you get is a result.

If the result is another dataset, you should label them Input Dataset, Method, Result or Output Dataset.

  • I'm aware of the result, but I need something to refer to the "word" before I actually run the data through the method and get the results.
    – AndrejaKo
    Dec 19, 2016 at 19:06
  • A transform is where in geometry a set of points/vectors are run through an equation or matrix and a second set is generated, e.g. rotating a bunch of vertices through multiplying by a matrix. Closest I can think of.
    – LawrenceC
    Dec 19, 2016 at 22:04
  • Otherwise use an invented term like "Dataset-method pair"
    – LawrenceC
    Dec 19, 2016 at 22:06

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .