I would like to ask for the difference in usage between 'change of, 'change in' and 'change to'

For example, which of the three is the correct form/most used?

  • I had a change of address
  • I had a change in address
  • I had a change to my address (sounds awkward)

I want to find out the best phrase use to indicate formally that I moved house. 'I changed my address' is confusing as it sounds like what I would say after updating information on a website.

Many thanks.

  • 2
    If you are talking of something you did/requested, I changed my address is probably your best choice; I had a change is about a change that you didn't do, or requested (e.g. some authority changed your residence address that results in an official document). – kiamlaluno Dec 31 '16 at 11:37
  • So if I say, the country had a change of government, it would mean that the change isn't something I requested ? What about I had a change of opinion, how does it differ from I changed my opinion? – JUNCINATOR Dec 31 '16 at 14:58

You should say I had a change of address, in the same way you say a change of air, a change of heart, a change of opinion, or a change of government.

You would probably say I changed my address, except in the case you are talking of something you didn't request/initialize/do, for example when talking about a change done by an authority on some official document.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.