Are there specific words to describe horizontal or vertical stripes (esp. in clothes)?

For example, when I go shopping and I want a shirt with vertical stripes, what should I say?

"I am looking for horizontally striped shirts"?!

Also, I've heard Americans refer to their flags as stars and stripes. Does this mean when "stripes" is used, by default it's considered horizontal?

  • 1
    There are no specific words to describe horizontal or vertical strips. The only descriptive stripe word I can think of is pinstripe dictionary.com/browse/pinstripe?s=t – Chris Rogers Jan 2 '17 at 9:17
  • No, stripes is not by default assumed to be horizontal. // The only named stripe-like pattern (besides the pinstripe @Chris mentioned) I can think of is a chevron (the upside-down "v"s stacked on top of each other). – RichF Jan 2 '17 at 12:33

There are no specific terms for the orientation of stripes. You just have to ask for the orientation that you want (or wish to avoid): vertical, horizontal or diagonal. Sometimes, there is no choice: I have yet to see men's formal shirts with anything other than vertical stripes.

For an example of current usage, see: The Telegraph: Are stripes flattering?

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.