What to say when somehow, e.g. because the signal is broken, cannot hear someone's voice for a while and you want to inform them about this?

Is any of these options idiomatic?

  • I don't have your voice.
  • I don't have your sound.
  • I cannot hear your.

2 Answers 2


There are several options for this. Some that I tend to use often are

You're breaking up.
I can't hear you.
I'm only getting every other word you say.
I missed half of what you just said.
We seem to have a bad phone connection.

The first two options sound quite odd to me so I recommend you don't use them.

  • Thanks for the through answer; Indeed, the first two options are direct translation from my language and I doubted that they can be used in English. Jan 12, 2017 at 23:40
  • 2
    @mok the equivalent in English of the first two would be "I can't hear you".
    – Andrew
    Jan 13, 2017 at 0:23

'I cannot hear your' is closest but it should read as - 'I can't hear you'.

  • 4
    Please edit to include an explanation of why this is correct; answers without explanation do not teach the patterns of the language well. Jan 13, 2017 at 0:05

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .