I have found a term which can be used to describe a person who knows a lot about a specific field. Imagine a carpenter or a mechanic or an electrician etc. who know a lot about their specialties and are very familiar with their own profession. How would one indicate such an ability in natural English?

This is what I found:

I would relly appreciate it if someone could let me know whether there is a better term or idiom to explain such a person or not.


I would suggest saying the person was an Expert

A person who is very knowledgeable about or skilful in a particular area:

| improve this answer | |


He's a true pro.

He's an ace electrician.

He's top notch in his field.

Normal register:

He's an authority on {some specialized subject}. (e.g. elastomers, equine diseases, paleobotany).

| improve this answer | |

I suggest connoisseur.

He is a businesses connoisseur.

It's synonym cognoscente is equally eloquent but sounds grandiloquous.

Also aficionado.

He is an aficionado of business.

I'm more inclined to use 'connoisseur' in this case, though.

| improve this answer | |
  • 1
    Neither of these terms has the shade of meaning the OP asks for. – verbose Jan 15 '17 at 9:19
  • @verbose16 Can you please clarify to me why my answer is not applicable? – Nikki Jan 15 '17 at 9:37
  • Not at all @Nikki. May I ask your nationality please? :) – A-friend Jan 15 '17 at 10:30
  • 1
    I am from India and not really 'well-versed' in English. Still a learner. – Nikki Jan 15 '17 at 10:39
  • 1
    Actually, connoisseur does apply in a sense, but not to the specific examples provided in the question (carpenter, mechanic, electrician). A connoisseur knows nearly all there is to know about things that have been produced by others (e.g. wine, food, art) whereas the question asks about people who truly know how to do something themselves. – Tᴚoɯɐuo Jan 15 '17 at 12:01

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.