dealing with global warming, can I put out that "the global warming/ or global warming is under way?" Thanks for your answer.
Yes, underway means:
- Already commenced or initiated; in progress.
- Compelling new evidence demonstrates that global warming is already under way with consequences that must be faced today as well as tomorrow
From The Guardian:
- A 23-year experiment finds surprising global warming impacts already underway. Some ecosystems are absorbing less carbon, which could ...
- Contrary to numerous press reports, there has never been a group of 2,500 scientists claiming that human-induced global warming is underway.
From Cimate Hot Map:
- The impacts of global warming are already underway and far reaching. Explore how global warming is impacting people, oceans, freshwater, ecosystem
Actually, underway is not an ideal word choice there, IMO, but you could get away with using it.
A ship between London and New York may be underway, which means that it has begun its journey and is en route to its destination. A process may be underway, that is, it has been started and is on its way to completion.
But something like global warming, which is a byproduct of our consumption of fuels, is unlike a process intentionally begun, not like a journey intentionally embarked upon.
It would be better to say that global warming is happening now.