This is a two-part question.

What are the different names you use for the AREA OF LAND in which you operate? 'Work area' seems to be an okay description, but I am looking for single-word, more formal synonyms. Neither 'workplace' or 'worksite' are the type of words I am looking for, as workplace would mean a facility like an office and worksite describes where infrastructures are being built.

Part two of my question will also further clarify part one. I wanted to use the synonyms meaning 'work area' in the following fictional situation.

  • I am an ice cream truck driver, and I usually work at or around a specific place at a certain time. Then one day, a bunch of kids came and started selling their own ice cream where I sell mine. can I say something like 'Don't invade my [insert synonym] and steal my customers, find your own place to sell ice cream.'

Is the word being used correctly in the above example?


I think the perfect word might be turf, but it's informal.

4. slang US the territory or area of activity over which a person or group claims exclusive rights

In an informal context, invade might be too formal. I would use step on: "Don't step on my turf and steal my customers!" It sounds tough to me.

Formally, you could use territory.

1. a. An area of land; a region.
3. An area for which a person is responsible as a representative or agent: a salesperson's territory.

Neither word means "work area" by themselves. But in the right context, like the fictional one you have provided, I think the meaning is clear and what you are trying to describe.

  • patch would also work in a similar informal vein to turf. 'Stay off my patch and I'll stay off yours'.
    – mike
    Jan 23 '17 at 10:26

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.