Is there a phrase for this You wanted to say something, but Someone else said exactly the same thing before you could say ( you feel like they stole the exact words you wanted to say) How do I describe this feeling ? I came across a phrase "beat to the punch" , but I don't think this phrase fits here


2 Answers 2


As Teacher KSHuang mentioned in the comments, take the words out of somebody's mouth is a very common idiomatic expression meaning to say something that another person was just about to say or was thinking. The usage generally follows the pattern of "(you) took the words right out of my mouth". For example:

A: "This movie is going to put me to sleep."

B (yawning): "You took the words right out of my mouth."


A: "What a rude and obnoxious man!"

B: "You took the words right out of my mouth!"

To beat somebody to the punch, on the other hand, usually refers to the physical act of doing something before someone else does it, rather than just speaking.

I wanted to post an answer, but someone beat me to the punch.

I was planning to take care of the problem for him, but he beat me to the punch and did it himself.


You feel, "upstaged".

One way to describe the feeling might be to express, "They stole my thunder".


You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .