Manuscript written in late nineteenth century Ireland uses the term in conjunction with transportation or travel by road. Does it refer to the conveyance or to the type of track over which the travel is undertaken?

  • 2
    Please provide the full context. A paragraph would be ideal.
    – TimR
    Commented Jan 28, 2017 at 17:34
  • Also, you'd find more interest in this question here: english.stackexchange.com/questions
    – TimR
    Commented Jan 28, 2017 at 17:36
  • There's an agricultural definition here, but not necessarily the one that will fit your context: play.google.com/store/books/… The strip of land at the end of a furrow where the farmer turns his team pulling the plow. head rig/head ridge
    – TimR
    Commented Jan 28, 2017 at 17:37

1 Answer 1


headrig - is Scottish for a headland in a ploughed field

  • At the headrig doesn't refer to harness but to the turning ground at the end of the furrow which @TRomano cites. Commented Jan 28, 2017 at 17:58
  • Then I don't understand the explanation in the left side column for "headrig", unless the term is being used for both.
    – Peter
    Commented Jan 28, 2017 at 22:18
  • This is a student 'essay'; there's a couple more such minor mistakes. Commented Jan 28, 2017 at 22:36

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .