What do you call a found baby who's parents due to poverty or some other reasons put them on a way and go a way?

I searched a lot, but I didn't find any term to use in this case. Actually I doubt if there is any specific term for this case.

I would be thankful it if someone could let me know about it.

  • 1
    "unwanted/abandoned"? "baby drop-off box" for unwanted newborns – zx8754 Feb 8 '17 at 9:57
  • An orphan? It's usually used when the parents have died, but I think also works when they have abandoned the child. – user42526 Feb 8 '17 at 10:00
  • This is probably a little left of center, but maybe a baby who has been put up for adoption? – Teacher KSHuang Feb 8 '17 at 11:11

The closest word for what you want is probably foundling:

an infant found after its unknown parents have abandoned it

It's a bit old-fashioned and not as popular as it used to be, but it's still extant.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.