What do you normally call a teacher or professor who is very sever in punishing students in the class and tries to give the hardest exams to the students?

The adjectives that comes to mind are "strict", "stern" and "severe". In other hand Google Ngram shows that for the noun "teacher" , strict is the best choice and for the noun "professor" the adjective "stern" stands out.

It was what came to my nonnative mind, but what a native speaker would say in everyday English in what made me to ask this question. Now please let me know what are the most common combinations for the nouns "professor" and "teacher".


You could use taskmaster:

a person, discipline, etc, that enforces work, esp hard or continuous work
his teacher is a hard taskmaster

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.