What do we call this part of the room?

I am looking for the correct word for this part of the room. I have always called it a “low-roof room”. However, I am not sure whether it is correct.

enter image description here

5 Answers 5


I think most English speakers would refer to that as a loft.

  1. loft (n.) floor consisting of open space at the top of a house just below roof; often used for storage


  • 1
    Loft is probably the most common usage, but balcony might also work. Commented Feb 12, 2017 at 11:19
  • Good point. I guess I think of balconies as needing to have an entrance of some kind other than a ladder
    – Rich
    Commented Feb 12, 2017 at 11:25
  • 2
    I think of a balcony as strictly outside. Something inside, like in the picture, is a loft.
    – stangdon
    Commented Feb 12, 2017 at 17:08
  • 1
    Balconies can be inside, at least in America. The upper level of a theater is called the balcony.
    – Rob K
    Commented Jun 13, 2017 at 15:06
  • A balcony can be inside, but as @MadGab says it is generally reached from the upper floor to which it is attached, not by climbing from a lower floor (unless you're Romeo).
    – 1006a
    Commented Jun 13, 2017 at 15:21

An intermediate floor is known as a mezzanine

Described as: The lowest balcony or forward part of such a balcony in a theater.

A low-ceilinged stor(e)y between two other stories of greater height in a building, usu. built immediately above the ground floor, esp. when the low story and the one beneath it form part of one composition.

Collins English Dictionary


In the UK we would refer to it as a mezzanine. I am not presently allowed to up vote otherwise I would have.

Lofts/attics are usually enclosed spaces above the 'living' areas. Balconies are usually only exterior (unless in very old/large houses).


I can think of loft - a space at the top of a building under the roof used for storing things and usually entered by a ladder, or sometimes made into a room for living in; an upper floor or room

However, In Russia we call it "второй ярус" - second storey, some people call it "надстройка" - superstructure or "второй уровень" - second level and I've also heard people refer to it as "upstairs".

Such rooms are called "two-level rooms"


Balcony: (https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/balcony)

Define balcony: a raised platform that is connected to the side of a building and surrounded by a low wall or railing

  • This isn't a bad suggestion. I think it attracted a downvote because of the definition you used. Neither M-W definition is great for this example, but the second would probably be the better of the two. The one you picked refers to something external. Generally, though, a balcony is something that projects out from a wall, overhanging something below. What's pictured does project out for half the width, so it's arguably a balcony.
    – fixer1234
    Commented Jun 13, 2017 at 17:18

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .