From this question: Why is 'aircrafts' bad English, while 'crafts' is okay?

What those words (like "fish") have in common is they have two different plural forms: for example, "fish" has "fish" and "fishes". "Craft" has "craft" and "crafts". Rather than I'm worried about how to use those different forms, I just want to know what those kind of words are called.

  • 1
    I don't think there is any special name for them, other than "really irritating to ELL students" :)
    – Andrew
    Commented Feb 14, 2017 at 0:57

2 Answers 2


Nouns that have irregular plurals, such as fish, aircraft, mouse, man, are called "irregular nouns" or "irregular plural nouns". The phrase "irregular nouns" is more common.


As stated in this answer from EL&U, such nouns are referred to as irregular plurals.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .