From this question: Why is 'aircrafts' bad English, while 'crafts' is okay?

What those words (like "fish") have in common is they have two different plural forms: for example, "fish" has "fish" and "fishes". "Craft" has "craft" and "crafts". Rather than I'm worried about how to use those different forms, I just want to know what those kind of words are called.

  • 1
    I don't think there is any special name for them, other than "really irritating to ELL students" :) – Andrew Feb 14 '17 at 0:57

Nouns that have irregular plurals, such as fish, aircraft, mouse, man, are called "irregular nouns" or "irregular plural nouns". The phrase "irregular nouns" is more common.

| improve this answer | |

As stated in this answer from EL&U, such nouns are referred to as irregular plurals.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.